Monday, January 28, 2008

OUTRAGE!





I can't even begin to describe the outrage that I felt today.


I am not an animal activist, in general, but I can not handle this.


Today, at work, I found out that when animals at the zoo die, all the do is chop them up and bury them at the dump. They are treated like special waste, like asbestos.


They are buried, in pieces, in a whole in a landfill.


Now, I understand that these are not pets, but they are lovely. Lovely, wonderful, wild animals that we have taken from their homes, put in pens, most often too small for their bodies and leaving them to pace and swing their heads to and fro in boredom and frustration, with no other possibilities. Now, I try to be okay with zoos. I know they try to conserve and protect. But this is too much.


At first, I was a little horrified, but as the day went on, I just couldn't handle it.


If elephants have their own graveyard, why can't we do something better for them. Not that many zoo animals die. I understand they need to be cut up for autopsy, but can't we have them cremated?




I'm not asking for the zoos to fly the ashes to their home land in Africa, or Asia, or Australia, but can't we show them a little respect.


Just a little?
A giraffe just died in the Chicago area earlier this month, and I can't even imagine.


Just horrible, and sad, and outrage!








I'm sure they even did the same thing to the tiger in San Francisco.


No comments: