Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The cost of a life...

Now, I am new to the Chicago area, but I have noticed something that has made me laugh, but nothing so hard as today (which I feel pretty horrible about-so you know it will be good).
As you are driving through the state, you periodically see signs just like in every other state:
Construction Zone
Handicap Parking
Fire Lane
Bus Zone
etc etc etc
In the Chicagoland area there are some differences. All of these signs have dollar amounts on them. It lets you know your consequences. You can park for free over here...or you can park in the closer $300 blue parking spot. Or you can park where the buses go for $40.
If you go the speed limit in a construction zone for free, or you can speed and pay an extra $1000. Ok you get the point...(don't get me wrong I love going into a situation knowing what comes out on the other end)
But today I reached my limit. On my way to a job interview I actually saw a sign on the highway that said:
"Hitting a road worker could cost $10,000 and 14 years in jail"
This is how much a life is worth near Schaumberg, IL. How much is a life worth where you are? Who put this value on a life? Is it like practice vehicular manslaughter?
And yes. I felt SO bad that I laughed for about a half mile.

3 comments:

Wally said...

That's funny! As for here in LA, we just have cars that blow up on the freeways! I always thought just happens in movies!

Courtney said...

Can I punch someone in the face for say ... $1500?

Anonymous said...

That's the MINIMUM fine/sentence for the ticket. The actually killing of the guy costs more.